On Friday, the Olympic Flame will begin its 70 day journey around the UK but on Saturday (12th May) the Torch was at Stoke Park. To celebrate its arrival Stoke Park’s chef, Chris Wheeler, set himself the challenge of recreating an edible version of the Torch.
The Torch visited Stoke Park as part of the Golf Captain’s Day and was photographed alongside its replica. Chris used a mould to bake a Victoria sponge in the shape of the Torch before icing it with buttercream. The look was finished off when Chris sprayed the cake with edible gold.
Chris said: “I was really proud to hold the torch and I think I can say I am the first UK chef to do so. Recreating a cake version of it was an interesting challenge but I’m happy with the result.”
The day was held to raise money for Captain Mike Fretwell’s chosen charity, Sportsaid. 148 golfers competed in a tournament which was followed by a gala dinner for 300 people. Students from nearby Stoke Poges also visited during the day to see the Torch and pose for a team photograph with this piece of sporting history.
Stoke Park, Europe’s leading five star Hotel, Spa and Country Club, is set among 300 acres of glorious parkland, lakes, historic gardens and monuments created over the past one thousand years.
Stoke Park is the perfect place to enjoy life in a friendly atmosphere. It provides a unique combination of the traditions of an exclusive members’ club and the best of today’s sporting, leisure, entertaining and hotel facilities, in one of the most convenient locations in Britain: only 35 minutes from London and 7 miles from London Heathrow.
• 5 AA Star Hotel with 49 Luxury Bedrooms and Suites, all with Superb Marble Bathrooms
• 3 Restaurants, Bars and Lounges (Humphry's, 3 AA Rosettes)
• 27 hole Championship Golf Course, designed by Harry Colt in 1908
• State-of-the-art 4,000 sq. ft. Gymnasium, Fitness and Spinning Studios
• Health & Beauty Spa and Salon with 11 Treatment Rooms
• Indoor Swimming Pool with Hydro-Seats
• 13 Tennis Courts (six grass, three indoor and four all-weather)
• Crèche, Games Room and Outdoor Playground
• 8 Private Rooms for Entertaining and Conferences
• 14 Acres of Private Gardens